During the webinar for lawyers at the Higher School of Advocacy on the topic: "Appeal of non-observance of reasonable terms of pre-trial investigation (Articles 308, 303 of the Criminal Procedure Code of Ukraine)", lecturer Iryna Glovyuk – honored lawyer of Ukraine, lawyer, doctor of legal sciences, professor, member of the NKR at the Supreme Court, the scientific advisor of the "Barristers" Bar association spoke about: means of ensuring the reasonableness of pre-trial investigation terms, a complaint under Art. 308 of the Code of Civil Procedure, actions in the event that an answer is received in the form of a letter, on how to demarcate clause 1 of Art. 303 of the Criminal Procedure Code and clause 9-1 part 1 of Article 303 of the CCP.
- Petition to establish procedural terms (Articles 28, 114 of the Criminal Procedure Code of Ukraine);
- Complaint under Art. 308 of the Criminal Procedure Code to the prosecutor of the highest level;
- Appeal of the refusal to satisfy the complaint by the prosecutor of the highest level for non-observance of reasonable terms of the order of Article 9-1. 303 of the CCP;
- Petition of another person, whose rights or legal interests are limited during the pre-trial investigation, or his representative to the investigating judge to close the criminal proceedings, if the period of the pre-trial investigation has expired from the moment of entering information about the criminal offense into the Unified Register of Pre-trial Investigations until the day the person is notified of the suspicion
- If it is established that the complaint was sent to a higher-level prosecutor, the investigating judge must establish whether the complainant received an answer, and if so, in what form.
- If this answer is received in the form of a resolution, then the investigating judge must further establish whether the higher-level prosecutor fulfilled the obligation to properly consider and resolve the complaint and, in particular, whether the investigator, inquirer and prosecutor complied with the requirements of the reasonableness of the criminal proceedings during the pre-trial investigation, with taking into account the criteria of reasonableness of terms developed in the practice of the ECtHR.
- If the complainant did not receive an answer or received it in the form of a letter, and not in the form of a resolution, then the complaint in accordance with clause 9-1 part 1 of Article 303 of the Criminal Procedure Code of Ukraine is not subject to satisfaction (or there is a refusal to open proceedings on a complaint), since the investigating judge cannot verify the essence of the decision of a higher-level prosecutor, which does not exist.
- annulment of the resolution
- obligation to reconsider the complaint